Wednesday, August 26, 2009

La Sierra Mural 1, Porterville, 8/09


THE STUDENTS of La Sierra High School, in Porterville, CA., painted this mural in 2009 with my assistance. I hope they had as much fun as I did. If you want to see how it was done, follow this blog for a few days. I'll walk you through it.

WITH THE HELP of Shirley Keller, a volunteer for the school, I met with the art students in the classroom. All students in the school would have an opportunity to paint, but we needed to meet with a core group to design the mural. They were surprisingly quiet and I had some difficulty getting them to open up. I spread out on a table an array of photos and clippings to give them ideas. They liked the idea of masks, and since Shirley and I both brought our cameras, we jumped right in and had them pose for masks. They wanted to include teachers and their principal, Jan Mekeel, so we photographed them as well.


I THINK they were starting to warm up.

I LIKED the photos we took, so I went home and, in Photoshop, created these 3-color images, cutting the tops off their heads to make them look like masks. I created a page in Photoshop the same proportions as the wall, put each mask on its own layer, then played around with a composition, dropping in a colorful background behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment