Monday, May 5, 1997

Cattle Drive 2


THE WALL. The Exeter Meats and Processing, owned by Joe Luiz. Pretty daunting. My first time on the scaffolding I couldn't get to the 2nd level. I just stood there on the plank, looking up (as if I was concentrating on my design), afraid. It turned out the screws were all loose and scaffolding IS NOT SUPPOSED TO SWAY! A friend went home for his tools, then came back to fix. Whew!

A FRIEND, Tony Avila, helped me project the image onto the wall at 3 am, which was the only time the police would let us do it. The projector sat atop my truck in the middle of the road, while we projected in 10 foot increments, backing up the truck each time. Tony lined up the faces of the cows where the sections met. Problem was- all the cows looked similar - and he matched up the wrong ones, cutting out about 5 foot of mural. I didn't discover the mistake until a week later (and decided close enough!)

BRONWEN was 9 at the time. And a huge help. Her famous line was "Mom- just do it. If you start, you know you always find a solution." What would I do without her?

No comments:

Post a Comment